2 Canadians in Korea

Welcome to our blog. It's designed to give people back home an idea of what it's like living in South Korea and to allow you to follow us on our journey.

I've been blogging a lot of facts and I feel I should say that some of it is copy pasted from books, the internet and the signs that I took pictures of at the tourist site itself.

Click here to view my videos on my You Tube Channel

To view larger images just click on them.

Friday, March 6, 2009

Taekwondo Event

Our Tae-kwon-do teacher was watching competitions on his computer one day and we asked if he could take us to a tournament. He was very glad to hear we wanted to see a tournament and he immediately called a friend and found one in Busan for the following weekend. He drove us there and back and took us out for lunch.
We were expecting to see some fighting and maybe a little blood but we didn't. Instead we watched a bunch of kids doing some routines and forms which was still amusing. At the start of the event, a pro broke some yellow brick thing with a chop and everyone cheered him on and then the event started. It was fun to see the kids compete and most of them looked bored, tired and wanted to go home to play video games but a few of them took it very seriously.
Most of these kids have black belts and from what I'm told it is vurtually impossible to have a black belt at the age of 10 in Canada as there are requirements that a 10 year old kid would not be able to accomplish. We were doing Tae-kwon-do for 5 months or so with a white belt and then one day without testings our teacher gave us each green belts which means we skipped the orange belt. He said that we have learned the routines required to receive the green belts, no tests required.
We had a great time doing Tae-kwon-do and even though we aren't going anymore I feel much more confident in my abilities to defend myself if the situation demands it. I would want to strech a little first if the attacker allows it though.

No comments: