2 Canadians in Korea

Welcome to our blog. It's designed to give people back home an idea of what it's like living in South Korea and to allow you to follow us on our journey.

I've been blogging a lot of facts and I feel I should say that some of it is copy pasted from books, the internet and the signs that I took pictures of at the tourist site itself.

Click here to view my videos on my You Tube Channel

To view larger images just click on them.

Monday, February 11, 2008

Crossing the Road

Crossing the road in South Korea is a lot more controlled than it is in Canada. I don't know what the penalty is for "jay walking" (is that how you spell that?) but not too many people do it here. They have two controlled ways of crossing the road. There is the simple crosswalk and the underground passages.

The simple crosswalks have the big white lines as you see and they have a red/green stick man light indicator. The fascinating part about this is when it's green and time is running out rather than the flashing green man like back home, they have an arrow indicator on the left that counts down. It takes forever to get a green crosswalk signal and the amazing part is that most people wait for it. I still sometimes just look both ways and cross if there aren't any cars.

They also have underground crosswalks. The major intersections have an entrance at each side and everyone walks down and comes up where they need too. I think this would be very useful in downtown Toronto to control pedestrian crossings. However, they would have a hard time building it now and I wonder how many people would actually use it since they're all used to crossing whenever they want.

1 comment:

Bryn Robinson said...

Very cool pictures, especially of those kids skating!

It must feel like Alice in Wonderland, the differences between Korea and Canada...I'm not sure I'd go for the McNuggets with a side of corn though...that's asking for trouble lol