2 Canadians in Korea

Welcome to our blog. It's designed to give people back home an idea of what it's like living in South Korea and to allow you to follow us on our journey.

I've been blogging a lot of facts and I feel I should say that some of it is copy pasted from books, the internet and the signs that I took pictures of at the tourist site itself.

Click here to view my videos on my You Tube Channel

To view larger images just click on them.

Monday, February 4, 2008

Scooters

One method of transportation that is considered strange and socially uncool in Canada is scooters. They are everywhere here and that's probably because of the lack of space and the small distances needed to travel.

Changwon is 292KM2 compared to Sudbury, Ontario which is 3 200KM2. The population of Changwon is 549 507 plus Angèle and I compared to Sudbury, Ontario which is 157 857 minus Angèle and I. If you do the math Changwon has a population density of 1 803/KM2 and Sudbury is 49/KM2. Things are a lot closer here than they are back home so buying a car isn’t as necessary.

We have seen all kinds of scooters being used for all kinds of reasons. They are used for personal transportation, deliveries and moving stuff around like you see here, now that's a powerful scooter. They drive really fast on these things and they honk when coming near to intersections they plan on driving through. I think they close their eyes sometimes and
hope for the best.

This is scooter parking which is also just about anywhere they can squeeze the little things. I've seen them park in a parking spot with a car and the guy who owns the car just moved the scooter to the next parking spot so he could get his car out. If I would have seen that back home I would have thought he was going to steal the scooter.

We have also seen a few funny accessories like a clear visor that is strapped to their head and can be pulled down much like a welding mask to protect against the wind since they don't always wear helmets. I would like to learn about the traffic laws to see how different they are from ours. Green is go and red is stop but the rest here is just a big mess.

No comments: