2 Canadians in Korea

Welcome to our blog. It's designed to give people back home an idea of what it's like living in South Korea and to allow you to follow us on our journey.

I've been blogging a lot of facts and I feel I should say that some of it is copy pasted from books, the internet and the signs that I took pictures of at the tourist site itself.

Click here to view my videos on my You Tube Channel

To view larger images just click on them.

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Fast Food

So, food. Angèle and I have tried several things and some are good, some are not. We have come up with a saying and it goes like this "That tastes like Korea" which loosely translates too that taste like that gross taste in the air you get when all the markets are up and running.

They have several kinds of restaurants in South Korea. They have the market style which is kind of like the Korean version of the "Street Meat" hot dog vendor back home but they sell Korean stuff. They have traditional Korean restaurants which are mostly Korean BBQs that you have to sit on the floor. We have seen some Western name brands like McDonald's, KFC, Pizza Hut, TGI Friday's, Dunkin' Donuts and Subway and we have also seen some look 'a' likes that seem to be very much the same until you go in and look at the menu and notice that they put pickles on every pizza as it's melted in with the cheese. A plain cheese pizza also has pickles.

I have yet to try to eat at McDonald's since my favorite part is to wash it all down with a Super Large Diet Coke but they don't have diet pop in South Korea. I have found Coke light which seems very similar but not quite and they don't have it at McDonald's. We did eat at 1 fast food restaurant called Lotteria (I thought it was a store that sold lottery tickets until I went in) and we ordered a "Bulgogi set" AKA Cheese Burger Deal but it "tasted like Korea". I think it's the sauce they put on the burger so we will have to try another one sometime before we leave. The "set" was the size of a kids meal back home including the size of the pop and it cost $4 taxes in.

McDonald's appears to be similar to back home but one thing that stood out was that they have an option for a side of corn instead of the fries.

I will be posting on the other kinds of restaurants that we have experienced and the funnest has to be the Korean BBQ which I plan on eating at tonight and I will bring my camera. I think I may have gotten food poisoning there last time so we are going back to see if it was really that restaurant or just some bug. Luck favours the brave.

No comments: